- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 ½ cups chopped dates
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- approx. 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (in little blobs)
- 2 cups boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and butter a 6 cups capacity pudding dish.
- Combine ½ cup of dark muscovado sugar with the flour in a large bowl. Pour the milk into a measuring cup, beat in the egg, vanilla and melted butter and then pour this mixture over the sugar and flour, stirring – just with a wooden spoon – to combine. Fold in the dates, then scrape into prepared dish. It will rise as it cooks.
- Sprinkle top with 1 cup of dark muscovado sugar, and dot with the butter. Pour over the boiling water (yes really!) and transfer to the oven. Set the timer for 45 minutes, though you might find the pudding needs 5 or 10 minutes more. The top of the pudding should be springy and spongy when it’s cooked; underneath, the butter, dark muscovado sugar and boiling water will have turned into a rich, sticky sauce. Serve with vanilla ice cream, or my favorite, fresh whipped cream.
Have you tried it, yet?